About La Coiffeuse

I'm a 26 year old living in the suburbs of DC. These are my stories about finding Mr. Right in all the wrong places. *cheers*

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ombre Thursday

Grab a glass of wine ladies, we're having girls night. Tonight's discussion: Ombre.
Before we get into a full blown debate of "oh-no she didn'ts", here's today hairstyle. I had today off, and since I decided it would be a splendid idea to sleep the day away ... I ended up running around doing errands to prepare myself for the work week. (My work week starts on Fridays and ends on Tuesdays.) 

Day Dix-Huit
Slick Back Pony
Products Used: Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray
It's a 10 Miracle Shine Spray with Noni Oil
Tools Used: Teasing Brush + 2 Clear Elastic Bands + Bobby Pins
How-To: Using teasing brush, brush hair back into sleek pony tail.
I like using the teasing brush because it really lays down the fly-aways.
Use clear elastic to tie pony tail.
I always use 2 elastics just to make sure the band doesn't
break throughout the day.
Taking a piece of hair from pony tail, wrap around clear elastic to hide.
Secure with bobby pins.
Use Luminous Hairspray to keep fly-aways down.
Finish with Shine Spray.
(Go easy on the shine spray. You don't want a greased down look.)

Alright, pajamas on with a glass of wine in hand ... I'm ready for girls night.
So topic of the night: ombre hair.
Yay or nay? Is its 15 minutes of fame up? Will everyone forget what it is by this time next year? Or will everyone and their mothers be rocking the boho color? At the salon, we're pretty split. Some of the stylists don't like it at all, while others love it. Me? I'm split ... I believe ombre can look very good if done right, but if done wrong ... it can be SO wrong.
When I first thought about ombre phenomenon... I was appalled! The only thing I could think about was Sarah Jessica Parker in Season 2 and 3 of Sex and the City with her awful roots.
Photo Source
If anyone knows me, you know that I absolutely adore SJP. I have the biggest girl-crush on her and would love to get my hands in her hair. I love love love her, but her roots in Season 2 & 3 ... not so much. I remember watching the show when I was a kid, (yes--I watched Sex & The City in middle school) and thinking ... who the hell told her that was cute?!
I can say, SPJ's hair has definitely improved throughout the years ... and it's her ombre that is on the top of my Ombre Yes List.

My Ombre Yes List
Photo Source
She's absolutely flawless!
Her ombre is very natural. Very sun-kissed.
I love that her ends are not drastically lighter than her roots.
SJP has always looked amazing with golden tones.
Photo Source
Another take on SJP's ombre. Her roots are a little darker
than in the picture above. Although her ends are very much
lighter than her roots, she has highlights framing her face
to off-set the dark roots and light ends.
Face framing high-lights is a must if you're planning to go darker on your roots.
Photo Source
Well done Jamie!
I was skeptical about ombre in the first place... now ombre on an Asian girl?
I was so against it ... until I saw it on Jamie Chung.
Lightening Asian hair is tricky. About 90 percent of the time,
it will turn a not so pretty blonde-orange.
And blorange is NOT cute.
I love that she stuck with golden and caramel tones.
And the golden brown high-lights that frame her face are gorgeous.

Photo Source
I saw Khloe Kardashian on What What Happen's Live the other night,
and practically drooled over the TV.
I was never a big fan of Khloe's ombre on Khloe & Lamar,
but I am all for this!
I like that she kept it in the brown family.
Ombre is tricky on girls with dark hair, because it can look
super trashy- super quick.
But keeping your ends a bit darker keeps things much more natural.

Photo Source
Who doesn't love Lauren Conrad?
The girls at the salon know my obsession with anything LC.
I've always loved her ombre. (Or should I say.. HER)
She's naturally a blonde, so the color graduation is smooth
and soft from her roots to ends.
Again, the highlights around her face brightens her color.
Photo Source
If there's Lauren, there has to be Whitney.
I love that she has blonde honey tones through-out her ombre.
Photo Source
Yes, Giuliana Rancic.
Again, like the others she has face framing highlights to
soften the contrast between the dark and light.
And if you look closely, the underneath of her hair is still dark.
I think that gives it a more dimensional look.
Ombre is all about dimension.

They all can't be perfect. Ombre can go very wrong. I mean VERY WRONG.

My Ombre No List
Photo Source
Seriously Drew?
Now I know Drew Barrymoore has always had the "roots" look ...
But this ... this is a prime example of ombre gone wrong.
The blonde has been taken too far and there's no gradual transition between
the dark brown roots and the fried blonde ends.
And the braid?  Oh no.

Photo Source
Hey Rihanna, your roots called.
They want their hair color back.
Photo Source
Now I believe us sassy short hair gals can rock ombre,
just not like this.
There is so much blonde that it looks like she hasn't gotten her
roots touched up in 6 months.
This would have looked better if there was less blonde,
and if the blonde was worked underneath.


Photo Source
Okay Ashley, I can see a line.
No bueno. There's no gradual change of color.
Just dark and then brassy orange ends.
Classic ombre gone wrong.


I hate to through LC under the bus, but straight ombre?
Not my cup of tea. As shown above, ombre works very well
with wavy hair. The boho beachy wave is perfect.
When wore straight, I just see fried ends. :(

Photo Source
Raven has such long hair ... the possibilities could be endless with ombre!
Her hair is so long that you could go from dark brown roots
to blonde ends beautifully.
But bl-orange? Really??!! Come on!

Photo Source
I never liked Audrina as a blonde. Even on her Hills days
when she had blonde highlights.
No, No, No.
Really?!- No.

Ombre Tips:
  • Although I believe that ombre can look good on short hair, I'll side with the long hair gals on this one. The longer the hair, the more length there is for the graduation between dark and light.
  • Wavy for ombre. Wearing it straight makes it seem like you haven't been to a hair stylist in years. And if you do wear it straight, make sure your ends aren't fried.
  • Keep your ends healthy! Since your ends are getting the most damage, make sure to use the right products and come in for regular trims.
  • 3 words, Face Framing Highlights. By having some highlights from roots to ends around your face, it will soften the contrast.
  • Don't go pitch black roots to platinum blonde ends. Keep your ombre within 3-5 shades of each other. Let's not relive SJP bad roots days.
  • Having the "roots" look doesn't mean you should neglect seeing your stylist. If you're going a little bit lighter as your base color, you still have to regularly come in for root touch up. And if you have face framing highlights-- those need to be touched up regularly as well. 
  • Not every stylist does ombre ... be sure to talk to your stylist for a consultation.
I got a chance to do ombre on our lovely receptionist the other day. I loved the way it turned out! :)  
I took her from a warm dark brown to golden caramel ends ...








No comments:

Post a Comment