About La Coiffeuse

I'm a 26 year old living in the suburbs of DC. These are my stories about finding Mr. Right in all the wrong places. *cheers*

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Great Bobby Pin

Before I go into full explanation as to why I believe the bobby pin is the greatest invention since the wheel- here's today's look.
Day Neuf
The Classic Pony
Can't go wrong with a classic pony
with an oh-so cute gold bow headband.
Products Used: Moroccan Oil Luminous Hairspray
(If you haven't caught on yet, I'm in love with the Luminous Hairspray.)
Tools Used: Teasing Comb + Small Clear Elastic Band + Bobby Pins + Headband (Optional)
How-To: After blowing out hair, use teasing comb to give slight
lift at the crown area. (I personally don't like too much height when I'm
doing a ponytail- but to each it's own.)
Using clear elastic band, tie hair into ponytail.
Wrap a little section of hair around elastic to hide elastic band.
Secure with bobby pins.
Using a teasing comb, tease ponytail about 1/4 inch section at a time
to give the pony some fluff.
Finish with Luminous Hairspray. Add headband.

Okay ladies & gentleman ... I would like to present to you the greatest invention ever invented in mankind.
Le Bobby Pin
Yes, something so small and simple-but performs miracles. Yet many of my clients complain about not knowing how to use them or that they "don't work right." They are my favorite tool, and if I was stuck on a island and could only have a certain number of objects with me ... you can bet your last dollar I'd have a pound of bobby pins.

Bobby Pin 101-
Photo Credit
  • Bobby pins come in all different colors. Black, brown, silver, gold, pink, blue, etc. Don't worry too much about matching the bobby pin color to your hair color. As long as you know how to hide a bobby pin, you don't have to worry much about matching it to the color of your hair. I once had a client that had grey hair insist that I only use silver bobby pins on her. It took much reassuring and an up-do later to show her that brown bobby pins can be hidden in her grey hair. I like the standard dark brown bobby pin that I buy by the pound.


  • Unless you want to visit your dentist more often, don't use your teeth to open a bobby pin. Bobby pins aren't necessarily meant to be opened. They are meant to stay closed and be slid into the hair. Of course there's always an exception to every rule. Sometimes you may need to open a bobby pin slightly. But if you do need to do so, don't use your teeth. What will happen is when you use your teeth to open a bobby pin, it'll stretch the bobby pin too much and then it'll serve no purpose. I hate seeing hairstylist using their mouths to open bobby pins or as a place to keep bobby pins. Come on, clients do not want spit all over the bobby pin you're about to stick into their hair. And let's be real ... no one looks cute doing it. 
Photo Credit
  •  If you need space in-between the pin, opt for hair pins. They have move space in-between and can be slid into place.
Photo Credit
  •  Learn how to hide a bobby pin. Let's face it, we have all seen it ... the super cute side braid or twist with the huge bobby pin at the end of it that makes the hair stick straight out. I came across this blog post on the Beauty Department blog the other day, and couldn't have said it better myself. (Btw- Love you Lauren Conrad! If you need another person to work on your beauty team .. call me!)
  • Less is more. You don't need 50 bobby pins every time you put your hair up. You'll end up with a headache and a up-do that falls. Pin only what you need pinned. Don't put a bobby pin in for the sake of putting a bobby pin in, because next thing you know- you'll have so many bobby pins in, you won't be able to stick the actual bobby pin you need in.

1 comment: